To file an Income Tax Return (ITR) online, you will need to first register on the e-filing portal of the Income Tax Department of India (https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home). Once you have registered, you can log in and select the appropriate ITR form for your tax filing. You will need to provide details such as your personal information, income, and tax deductions. After filling in the form, you can validate and submit it, along with any necessary documents or proofs. It’s also possible to e-verify your ITR using Aadhaar OTP, EVC (electronic verification code), or DSC (digital signature certificate). Once the process is complete, you will receive an acknowledgement receipt.
Steps to Check ITR Refund Status Online
To check the status of your Income Tax Return (ITR) refund, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the official e-filing portal of the Income Tax Department of India (https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home) and log in to your account.
- Click on the “View Returns/Forms” option, and select the appropriate assessment year for which you want to check the refund status.
- Click on the “View” button next to the relevant ITR form, and then click on “Track Refund Status.”
- You will be redirected to a new page where you can see the status of your refund. The status will be updated regularly, and you can check it again in the future if needed.
- You can also check the refund status through the “Refund Banker Scheme” option if your refund is processed through the bank.
Note: It may take a few days to a few weeks for the refund status to appear on the e-filing portal, so you should check back periodically.
What to do If ITR Refund not Received in your account
If you have filed your Income Tax Return (ITR) and are expecting a refund, but have not received it, there are a few steps you can take:
- Check the status of your refund: Go to the e-filing portal of the Income Tax Department of India (https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home) and log in to your account. Check the refund status of your ITR to see if it has been processed and if any issues have been identified.
- Verify your bank account details: Ensure that the bank account number and IFSC code provided in your ITR are correct. If there are any errors, contact your bank and update the details on the e-filing portal.
- Contact the Income Tax Department: If the status of your refund shows as “Refund Sent,” but you have not received it, you can contact the Refund Monitoring Cell of the Income Tax Department. You can find the contact details on the e-filing portal.
- File a grievance: You can also file a grievance on the e-filing portal if you have not received your refund within a reasonable time period.
- Submit a physical refund re-issue request: If you have not received the refund for more than 30 days of the refund sent date, you can submit a physical refund re-issue request to the CPC- Refund bank section.
Note: It’s advisable to keep all the documents and proofs ready while following the above steps, in case they are required.